A foundational staple of Mediterranean and South Asian cuisine, saffron rice is one of our favorites! Enjoy this classic recipe with an added flavor of raisins and almonds.
2 cups basmati rice
3 and ¾ cups chicken stock
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup minced onion
3 pinches Tahmina saffron
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 handful of raisins
1 handful of sliced or chopped almonds
- Grind 2 pinches of saffron in a mortar into a powder (If you do not have a mortar and pestle, you can you the back of a spoon or the end of a rolling pin and a bowl)
- Add the third pinch of saffron to the mortar without crushing the saffron threads.
- Add 1/4 cup of hot water to the saffron and allow to soak for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your rice 2-3 times.
- In a large pot, heat up your olive oil. Once heated, add the onions.
- Sautee the onions until translucent.
- Add the rice and sautee another minute.
- Add the saffron liquid, salt and chicken broth to the rice and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and heat on low approximately 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is light and fluffy.
- Stir in raisins and almonds while the rice is hot. Cover the pot and allow everything to settle for 5 minutes.